The way you communicate with your colleagues plays an important role in deciding your personality. It is an important part of any business which not only fosters healthy teamwork but also reflects your way of dealing with other employees of the company.
So it is a must to communicate professionally at workplace; which means to speak in a tone which is clear and effective and which conveys the right message to your co-workers. Most people ask the question of how to communicate professionally at the workplace because their communication usually results in confusions, conflicts and inaccuracies.
That is why it is said that try to make bonds and not scars with what to you speak. For an effective formal communication you need to show some etiquette. While talking to your subordinates, colleagues, seniors or even while giving a business presentation you have to keep some points in mind for a greater impact.
- You must have a clear and transparent approach. Don’t be manipulative, just be crisp and concise. Avoid giving double meaning statements. Explain everything properly with suitable examples.
- Prepare yourself well before going for a PowerPoint Presentation or a meeting with a senior. Keep complete documentation of your points which you want to discuss or convey during your interaction. Include every single thing which you want to communicate to avoid any future hassles.
- Always be precise in what you are saying. Since you are here to communicate organizational matters so you must respect the time of every person involved either directly or indirectly. So come to the point directly without dragging the discussion unnecessarily.
- Have a generic approach while communicating at the professional levels. Don’t point out the mistakes or errors of others rather make use of the word “we” for success and failures.
- Be assertive while communicating. It should be in such a way that both people can benefit from it. You should be honest about what you are saying without hurting anyone’s feelings.
- Effective communication can’t work on assumptions. So don’t assume. For instance, if there are some tasks that are needed to be performed, specify all of them along with their end results without assuming anything.
- At workplace, you must encourage two-way communication. This will result in equal involvement from both the sides. Give chance to everyone to put forward their views and thoughts. It is this type of conversation that forms the basis of healthy communication at the workplace.
Hence, the way you speak to your office mates is the first step for building trust and good working conditions. It is with the help of this communication only that the flow of information from one department to the other can smoothly take place; so it has to be improved at all levels for good workplace performance.